Skip to main content

Blocked drain responsibility: where does it fall?

| Michael Quinn

One of the most frustrating problems found in a home is that of a blocked drain and the responsibility attached to get it fixed. The problem needs to be taken care of quickly and efficiently, in order to prevent it from causing more damage.

However, before you begin making preparations to have all of this work carried out yourself, it is important to find out who is responsible for fixing them.

An image of an ASL Limited blocked drains response van.
An image of an ASL Limited blocked drains response van.

At ASL, we provide drainage servicing across all systems, and this includes information on blocked drains and responsibility when it comes to fixing them. This differs, depending on varying factors which we will discuss further below.

If you discover a blocked drain on your property and it becomes apparent that you are responsible for making sure it is cleared out, get in touch with us today. We will send an experienced engineer to get it flowing again in no time at all.

Blocked drains: whose responsibility are they?

Responsibility for a blocked drain changes, depending on where the drain in question is located. The responsibility is yours before it leaves the boundary or the point it becomes shared, whichever comes first. For more information on sewer type responsibility, go to:The Citizens Advice website via this link.


如果你在a private system and you have an issue with your septic tank, the responsibility is shared between all properties that the system serves.

If the blockage is in an apartment building or a block of flats, it becomes the joint responsibility of every property served by the pipe to the point it leaves the boundary.

If you have a blocked drain on your property that you need clearing, please contact us today, and we can come to clean it out swiftly and professionally.

Are blocked drains a landlord’s responsibility?

If you live in rented accommodation, there is likely to be a note on blocked drain responsibility in your tenancy agreement. As such, when it comes to blocked drains and responsibility, the landlord and tenant will have an agreement already in place about who has to have the drains cleaned or repaired. This means that you should be aware that blocked drains can be a tenant’s responsibility to fix, not just the landlord’s.

For a blocked drain, the tenant’s responsibility will also be to inform the landlord of the issue. This ensures that any problems which could cause further damage, such as leaking or flooding, will be noted and can be repaired quickly, usually before anything severe happens. In the case of a council property becoming affected, the local council serves as the landlord in this scenario.

If you are a tenant in a property where you are responsible for the drains' maintenance, or if you are a landlord and you have overall responsibility for the drains on your property, get in touch with us when your drains become blocked. We will be able to help you get the drains back in perfect working order, with as little disruption as possible.

Is the council responsible for your blocked drain?

Blocked drains are a local water authority responsibility when the drains are public (this includes blocked road drains). This means that you do not have to worry about responsibility for blocked road drains because your local authority will get them cleaned. If you’re not sure if the blockage is your fault, check with the company you pay your water rates to (this can usually be found on your water bill).

Who's responsibility are the drains under your house?
Who's responsibility are the blocked drain under your house?

Who is responsible for blocked sewer drains?

If they are considered public, blocked sewer drains are the responsibility of your local water company. They are responsible for maintaining the good condition of these drains in your local area, and it will also be their duty to repair shared drains for properties.

If there is a blocked public sewer drain somewhere around your property, get in touch with your local water authority. They will be able to take action to get the clogged drain working again.

For a blocked drain on your property

私有responsibil堵塞排水管道ity of the property owner or tenant by agreement. If you have blocked drains or sewer lines on your property and know you are responsible for any costs to get them cleaned or repaired, contact ASL Limited today. As experts in this industry, we know that we have all the skills, equipment and knowledge necessary to get your drains flowing again, and our 24-hour service means that we can be with you at any time you need.

Don’t delay we can help you today!

Call0800 181 684for all your drainage needs.

Our HQ is based in Guildford, but we cover the whole of Surrey, Parts of Berkshire, Hampshire, West Sussex and South West London.

See the map below or our 'areas covered page' for our services reach and use our postcode checker.